Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Winter Pinterest Challenge

We all pin, pin, pin and pin some more.  I see some great ideas all the time and think I can do that or oh that is a great idea!  So I decided I would jump on the band wagon and participate in


hosted by



After living in our house for a little over 3 years, I (actually Cody) hung up curtains in the living room.  It's amazing what curtains do to a room!  Then I started thinking about what I could do next in the living room.  And then I had a lightbulb moment!

I have pinned fabric covered lampshades and see tutorials all the time.  It adds color, textures and patterns to a room for little money. 

Here was my inspiration and the tutorial I followed.



I headed out the thrift store in search for a lamp base and found one for $2.  Can't beat that in my book!  Then it was time to start hunting for fabric.  I thought this part was going to be a little more harder than I had imagined, but I was able to find some for a reasonable price - $9.95 per yard.  I didn't think that was too bad considering it is indoor / outdoor fabric.  I figured this would hold up very well, especially since I want mom's help making matching pillows for the couch.  

Here's what I started with.


And here is the finished product!


The base was already white, just had to touch it up a little bit.  Of course, I already had white spray paint on hand.  Can't beat free!

Here is a closeup!


Little by little, this room is slowly coming together.

Next project - making matching pillows for the couch, with mom's help of course! 

2 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I've been wanting to do this in our living room, but we're having a hard time finding a good lamp base. You might like this too: http://hansenfamilychaos.blogspot.com/2013/02/hand-drawn-cards-pinterest-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete