Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pigeon Forge & Homemade Granola Bars

A few months ago, Sarah and I had the pleasure of going to Pigeon Forge with a lifetime family friend, Shannon.  A weekend of 5 adult women and 3 kids ranging from a first grader to a one year old adventuring off to Dollywood.  I know, crazy right?  

The best part was we were staying in a 3 bedroom condo at the Riverstone Resort so we weren't cramped into several hotel rooms.  This place was extremely nice.  If you are going to Pigeon Forge, this place is definitely worth the money.



However, Shannon's daughter has food allergies (milk, peanut and egg).  By staying at the condo, it gave us the opportunity to cook, which also saved us some money.  Sarah and I thought it would be best if we just gave Shannon money for groceries since she deals with this on a daily basis and knows exactly what and what not to buy.

Being a planner (I guess that's who I get it from), Shannon had snacks already made: chocolate chip cookies and granola bars.  Both of these were allergy friendly and tasted amazing.  So of course, I had to ask her for the recipes.  I have not made the chocolate chip cookies yet, but I have definitely made the granola bars.

What I love about the granola bars is that you can add whatever ingredients you want.  Also, the recipe calls for 2 cups of chocolate chips, but this is the part where you can add whatever and I definitely add more than 2 cups.  We have made them with chocolate chips and walnuts and other times by adding sunflower seeds to the mix.  This has become a weekly staple in our household. 


Oh and by the way, if you try this recipe and they don't turn out to be in the shape of a bar, it is perfectly fine.  We like to call ours granola clusters.

Also, if you have not been to Dollywood this year, they have a new roller coaster called the Wild Eagle.  This was the smoothest roller coaster I have ever ridden.

How cool is this?  You are riding on the side of the track!

 Here are a few pictures from the trip.



Top Photo: Sarah and Jasper
Bottom Photo: Brock, Shannon and Kacy

If you need a quick weekend getaway idea or a great go to snack recipe, you have come to the right place.  Enjoy!





       

1 comment:

  1. Those granola bars rock! And I'm so ready to go back to Dollywood and Pigeon Forge.
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete