Monday, August 6, 2012

You Don't Like What?

When I moved out of my parent's house, I had to start figuring out exactly what I was going to do each day for dinner.  Who knew figuring out what to cook could be so complicated.  So I am sure like many of you have done, I started thinking about the meals my mom would cook growing up.  I started thinking of some of my all time favorite dinners, but also remembering those ones that I knew I was never going to make. 

So back to the basics it was - meatloaf and mashed potatoes. 

However, when I asked Cody if he liked meatloaf, he said no.  Do what, you don't like meatloaf?  You love cheeseburgers, I just don't understand.  It's just ground beef.  Anybody who really knows Cody, knows that he hates condiments!  So after a little digging, I was finally able to get some explanation out of him.  First of all, it has ketchup on top.  Well you are just in luck, growing up mom never did that so I don't either.  Nice try, but there has to be something else.  After a little more digging, it came down to the fact that it is a pound of ground beef in the shape of a loaf pan. 

Are you thinking what I am thinking?  You have got to be kidding me.  Nice try again because we certainly can fix that problem too! 

So last night, this is what we started out with.


Yes, that is ketchup and mustard in there.  That will be our little secret.  He couldn't even taste it and it didn't kill him so I think I will keep that a secret.

And here is our final product before baking.


Making them in the shape of meatballs cuts the bake time in half.  I don't know about you, but that definitely works for me!

So I got to thinking, if our meatloaf isn't going to be basic, why should our mashed potatoes?

One morning while I was watching Food Network (surprised, I know), Melissa d'Arabian was making twice-baked mashed potatoes that didn't call for sour cream.  Of course, Cody doesn't like sour cream so this recipe was like hitting the jackpot. 

Here is our end result.


I promise you that if you make these potatoes, you will not be disappointed.  Super easy to make and super yummy!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment